Friday, May 15, 2009

Favorite Books...

Our sweet and amazing sister, Laura Bingham has written and published her first novel, Alvor! The sequel is already in the works! I'm not at all surprised that she has the talent to do it, but, don't ask me how she found time! She is the busy mother of 5 and has her own business and dance studio where she teaches clogging etc.. I haven't read the book yet, but it looks fantastic and has great reviews! I'm sure it will be added to the list of our favorites! If you are interested , it can be purchased through Amazon.com. I don't know how to post a link or picture of the book (I'm still pretty much computer illiterate!), but check it out!

Here are a few more of our favorite books right now...

We all LOVED the Olsen's version of "The BOX"! We can't wait to find a copy to add to our library --- and a good box to play in!

Meagan LOVES "Good Night Moon". We read it at least 10 times a day... She really loves all books and has since she was tiny, but just recently she has started to love the STORIES! Not just the pointing at the pictures and turning the pages!

Amy loves books about fairies and princesses! She has read almost all of the "Rainbow Magic Fairies" series and lots of other...

Joseph loves mysteries! He reads the "A to Z Mystery" books, "Cam Jansen", "Geronimo Stilton", and he is currently enjoying "Indian in the Cupboard"!

Sarah really likes books by Andrew Clements and has read lots of them and lots of others...

One of Rebecca's favorites is "The Anybodies" by N. E. Body. She also just finished "A Wrinkle in Time" for a book report and really liked it.

Spencer just read "Apollo 13". He liked it... Pretty technical, but a good book! One of his favorites is "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

Janelle has just read "A Raisin in the Sun" for her English class. It is NOT her favorite. She liked the Twilight series, but she is not an addict like some girls her age. She loves to escape with a good suspenseful romantic comedy!

One of Eric's all time favorites is "The Veil of Snows" by Mark Helpring. He has been reading "The Tale of Despereaux" to the kids and he just discovered "Skippy jon Jones"... a new family favorite, especially if Dad will read!

I can't pick favorites! I'm sure "Alvor" will be up there once my copy gets here! Janelle just gave me "The Truth about Forever" for Mother's Day and I look forward to reading it. To tell the truth, I mostly just read to and with my kids. But I love that and I am so glad that the all LOVE to read! What a gift!

I would love to hear what some of your favorites are! Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. I loved your post and have been delighted about the love of reading that your family has had from the very beginning. What a joy to get lost in a book and take yourself to places and times that are far beyond us! The list you posted was wonderful, and I'm going to check out lots of these books. For sure, the first thing I'll be reading is Laura's new book as summer launches in just a few days. Her new accomplishment is yet another evidence of a very multi-talented person! We love being "related" to such a terrific and beautiful young woman. Sometimes I wonder what Our Father has in store for each of us. . . and how pleased He must be when we work hard to achieve. Any parent gets to have a glimpse of that as they watch their children, and I constantly stay amazed at all of mine. . . particularly you! Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Andrew Clements book was "Frindle." And the Jensen family loves Skippy Jon Jones. I am glad you discovered it! I don't think I have a favorite book. But I would definitely recommend The Princess Bride. It is even better than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this list! I can't wait to get to the library. Darn school, our summer isn't for another MONTH. argh. Oh well, we'll make up for lost time getting lost in good books.

    Really thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's quite a list of good books! Unfortunately I haven't read many of them! The last book I read for pleasure was "The Work & the Glory", Vol. 5 and it was a LONG time ago! I found my only real reading time was in the middle of the night, and so then I was CRANKY about doing my most important, yet simple loving tasks! So, I find pleasure in hearing about good books from my children and other readers, and saving my few precious reading moments each day for scripture... (and now for blogs!) It is, however, completely satisfying! Thanks for the list! I'll keep it in mind for book recommendations to my kids! -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, how are you? This is Michael. I have read "Alvor" and it might be my favorite book ever. Half the people I see get recommended on it. Also, Why is there a book about Apollo 13? Didn't it blow up? I read "Ender's Game" and I didn't really like it. Was "The Wrinkle in Time" the one with IT, the thing who controlled everything? I did not like it either. I love books. They are the doors to imagination. Hey, maybe that quote will become famous. I would not recommend a book. I forget what it is called, but it has Mayflower in it. anyway, I miss you a lot. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Yea it was "The Remnants 1 The Mayflower Mission".

    ReplyDelete